February Livestock Show RoundupFebruary 14, 2021
It’s livestock show season and although the Covid-19 pandemic has created obstacles, most stock shows in the Southwest are still happening. Safety mandates have the committees rallying to continue tradition and provide a safe place for exhibitors to show their livestock.
The first livestock show in the Southwest was in Fort Worth, Texas in 1897. Inspiration to keep with tradition is part of what’s behind the driving force to proceed with the stock shows in 2021. In addition, the FFA and 4-H members develop life skills associated with raising and exhibiting livestock projects. The youth gain knowledge and skills such as responsibility, communication, record-keeping, and leadership through the process of developing their livestock projects. Albeit true, the youth typically have many people assisting during all phases of their animals’ development.
Animals considered livestock for show include pigs, cattle, sheep, goats, horses, llamas, and alpacas. Also included are chicken, geese, turkey, and pigeons. And while each breed of animal has their own association that oversees the registration and standards, livestock shows serve as the venue to show off the animal represented. And while there are over 3000 livestock shows in the United States, this article will serve to inform when, where, and Covid-19 protocols added or changes to many livestock shows across the Southwest during the month of February. 🎠
• 1/30-2/4: Alternative Pig Show 2021, Fort Worth. The Barrows will be shown in waves to implement social distancing.
• 2/2-2/7: Patriot Junior Market Steer Show Abilene, TX. Enhanced Cleaning protocols and modifications to food services.
• 2/3-2/6: NE District Show, Pryor, OK.
• 2/4-2/21: San Angelo (TX) Stock Show & Rodeo
• 2/6-2/11: Bell County Youth Fair Belton, TX.
• 2/11-2/24: San Antonio (TX) Livestock Exposition. No open show. Shows will not be open the public. Only 3 wristbands will be available per exhibitor.
• 2/12-2/20: LSU Ag Center State Livestock Show, Gonzalez, LA.
• 2/13-2/14: Texas Elite Showcase Kerrville, TX.
• 2/16-2/20: SW District Show Chickasha, OK.
• 2/19-2/24: Woodward (OK) District Show.
• 2/20-2/21: Quitman (TX) Farmer’s Livestock Show