By USEF National Affiliates Department.
Nick Maupin rode Coco Mojo to the championship win in the United States Equestrian Federation (USEF) Saddle Seat Medal Final presented by Elisabeth M. Goth. The final took place November 20 as part of the United Professional Horsemen’s Association (UPHA) American Royal National Championship Horse Show in Kansas City, Missouri.
With this win, Maupin made history by becoming the first male rider to win the “Saddle Seat Triple Crown,” claiming victories in the National Horse Show Good Hands Final, UPHA Challenge Cup and the USEF Saddle Seat Medal Final, all in the same year. Adding to the impressive feat, he and Mojo, owned jointly with Melissa Maupin, have only competed in equitation for the past year and a half.
“It is the best feeling ever,” stated Maupin after his win. “My horse is only five years old and has not been competing very long in equitation. It’s cool that we’ve come so far in such a short period of time.”
2010 Saddle Seat Medal
Nick Maupin and Coco Mojo. Photo by Howard Schatzberg.
The class was filled with top riders from across the country and included a challenging two-phase competition that required both rail work and patterns in both rounds. The reserve championship was awarded to Hunter Chancellor of Evansville, Indiana riding Chanti’s Prayer, owned by Steven E. Chancellor.
Judges for this year’s final included Dale Arnston of Mokena, IL, Robert C. Byers of Simpsonville, KY and Frances Crumpler of Simpsonville, Kentucky.
The bronze medal was awarded to Courtney McGinnis, of Fishers, Indiana, riding Kiss of the Zodiac, owned by Fish Creek Stables LLC. Additionally, the 13-year-old McGinnis was recognized for being the youngest rider competing in the final.
A reception was held after the preliminary phase for all riders, instructors and family members, where gifts were given to the participants and sponsors were recognized for their generous contributions.
Sponsors of the 2010 final included: Title Sponsor, Elisabeth M. Goth; Reception Sponsor, Steve and Terri Chancellor; Rider Gift Sponsors, McGinnis Family, Tom Brock and Glenn and Michelle Werry; and Gold Level Sponsor, Mary Anne O’Callaghan Cronan.
Results from the USEF Saddle Seat Medal Final presented by Elisabeth M. Goth:
CH. Nick Maupin, Sussex, WI aboard Coco Mojo, instructed by Scott and Carol Matton, Knollwood Farm
RC. Hunter Chancellor, Evansville, IN aboard Chanti’s Prayer, instructed by DeLovely Farm
3. Courtney McGinnis, Fishers, IN aboard Kiss of the Zodiac, instructed by DeLovely Farm
4. Alexandra Lawson, North Salem, IN aboard Imagine My Surprise, instructed by DeLovely Farm
5. Callie Smith, Paducah, KY aboard Soli Deo Glori, instructed by DeLovely Farm
6. Kailin Baechle, Rexford, NY aboard Platinum Asset, instructed by Fairfield South
7. Kristen Smith, Smithfield, KY aboard He’s the Real Deal, instructed by Zubrod Stables
8. Theresa Scott, Long Valley, NJ aboard The Kings Talent, instructed by Nealia McCracken
9. Alexis Pearson, Salisbury, MA aboard Tommy Bahama, instructed by Jessica Verrill
10. Mary Mitkish, Emmaus, PA aboard Rosewood’s Potpourri, instructed by Nealia McCracken
For more information about the Medal Final, contact Jennifer Mellenkamp at firstname.lastname@example.org or (859) 225-6955.